BE AWARE – BE INFORMED – FIND HELP
Welcome to the Parent Addiction Network of Dane County, Wisconsin.
This site is for parents, families, and friends who have a loved one affected by drug addiction. The drug epidemic that is sweeping our communities and the nation knows no boundaries. It affects all ages, socio-economic groups, races and ethnicities, and genders. While Madison and Dane County are rich in resources and services, it is often difficult to know who to turn to, what to ask, and how to navigate the issues and systems associated with drug use disorders. We hope this site will help you find answers to the many questions that surround addiction, treatment, insurance, legal issues, recovery, and getting support for your loved one and yourself. You are not alone!!
''I didn't know what to do or where to turn. I couldn't talk to my family or friends. There is a stigma with addiction that makes it so difficult." (Madison Parent)
"I learned addicts are not people on the street, but they are kids from your school, friends, neighbors and, surprisingly, parents of those kids." (Madison Parent)
"There is never a stupid question or circumstance that can't be addressed." (Madison Parent)
Opiate deaths still on rise in Dane County, Wisconsin State Journal, 12/23/2012
- 21 heroin-related deaths in 2012 (full results pending), compared to 20 in 2011; up from 9 deaths in 2009.
- Heroin is only one part of the epidemic.
- Prescription painkillers such as Oxycontin, Vicodin, and morphine are fueling the epidemic.
- Most overdoses involve more than one drug; the combination of opiate drugs and alcohol or benzodiazepine is especially deadly.
- Opiate-related deaths grew from 11 in 2001 to 45 in 2010.
"Prescription opiates are the new gateway drug." (Dane County Healthcare Provider)
Dane County Data - Drug Overdose
May 2013 Fact Sheet
Our Mission, Vision, Values, Goals
Key reference sources for Parent Addiction Network include:
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- Partnership for Drug-Free Kids
- National Council on Alcohol and Drug Dependence (NCAAD)
- Wisconsin Family Ties (WFT)
Disclaimer: The information on this web site is for educational purposes. It is not intended as advice. For medical or legal questions, please consult a healthcare provider or attorney, as appropriate. The inclusion of any resource or link on this website does not imply endorsement from the Parent Addiction Network or Safe Communities of Madison-Dane County.