This site is for parents, families, and friends who have a loved one affected by drug addiction. While Madison and Dane County are rich in resources and services, it is often difficult to know who to turn to, what to ask, and how to navigate the issues and systems associated with drug use disorders. Use this site to find answers to your questions and remember...You are not alone!!
''I didn't know what to do or where to turn. I couldn't talk to my family or friends. There is a stigma with addiction that makes it so difficult." (Madison Parent)
"I learned addicts are not people on the street, but they are kids from your school, friends, neighbors and, surprisingly, parents of those kids." (Madison Parent)
About Parent Addiction Network
Behind this website is a group of parents, service providers, law enforcement folks and concerned citizens who know and feel every day the epidemic that is sweeping Dane County and the nation -- the misuse and abuse of prescription, over-the-counter or illicit drugs, particularly heroin. It affects our children, our friends’ and relatives’ children, and our grandchildren.
We also know the anguish and frustration in trying to find help, figuring out what to do, who to go to, who to talk with, what questions to ask amid a life of chaos. We have struggled trying to find information and resources; trying to navigate the world of insurance, the judicial system, and treatment systems. This web site is our way to help other parents……so, no parent, friend or relative has to struggle finding answers to their questions.
Our Vision: Dane County, Wisconsin is a community that understands drug addiction as a disease, that is free of the stigma associated with drug addiction, and that supports prevention, intervention, treatment and recovery for all.
Our Mission: The mission of the Parent Addiction Network is to enable Dane County parents, families and friends of individuals affected by substance abuse to be better informed and to be better able to make decisions for the welfare of their loved one and themselves.
Our Values: To accomplish our mission, the Parent Addiction Network is committed to:
1. The principle that parents have the right to understandable, accessible and accurate information.
2. Using and promoting best practices in addiction research and recovery practice.
3. Parent participation to focus on the parent’s perspective and needs across the demographic spectrum of Dane County.
4. Facilitating positive change through advocacy and action.
5. Working in partnership with others.
6. Listening and communicating respectfully.
1. To create and maintain a user-friendly, comprehensive online information and educational center on all aspects related to the identification, treatment and support of addiction in a loved one, with particular emphasis on Dane County issues, programs and services.
2. To ensure the web-based resource center is interactive and dynamic to fulfill parent needs and questions.
3. To educate family members, and the public at large, about the disease of addiction, its consequences and the recovery process.
4. To reduce the stigma associated with addiction across all sectors of Dane County.
5. To advocate for services and policies that eliminate barriers to treatment and recovery and that promote prevention.
6. To encourage cross-communication and collaboration among law enforcement, treatment and mental health professionals, medical community and service providers.
Get Involved: Our group hosts this website, provides a bi-monthly email distribution list and bi-monthly group meetings to network and work for change in the field of Addiction and Recovery. If you would like to be on our email distribution list and/or get involved in our activities, please contact Alayna, at Safe Communities, 608-441-3060 or E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Organizations we support: