- This event has passed.
Ending African American Deaths From Despair – Virtual Conference
June 5 @ 11:45 am - June 12 @ 12:45 pm
Safe Communities and the African American Opioid Coalition (AAOC) have partnered up to bring a FREE ONE WEEK WEBINAR SERIES: Ending African American Deaths from Despair sponsored by Minority Health Program, Division of Public Health, Wisconsin Department of Health Services.
The goal of this webinar series is to:
- Save African American lives in Dane County
- to help set a standard for communities around the nation grappling with deaths from despair among African Americans.
- To understand what underlies these deaths from despair from the perspective of African Americans affected by them and African American clinicians and helpers who are working to prevent them
- To share insights with the broader community –non-African American laypersons, policymakers and clinicians — on how risk factors may present differently among African Americans, and how to be an effective ally in prevention of African American deaths from despair
- To examine and build on our strengths as an African American community — research consistently demonstrates that the resilience of our community institutions, families and members are what have kept deaths from despair at lower rates than the majority population in spite of centuries of structural racism
- To lay the groundwork for continued conversations and action on how to make Dane County’s mental health and substance use disorder treatment systems accessible, culturally competent and effective at eliminating African American deaths from despair
- As individuals and organizations, to join together with other efforts, including NAMI’s Green Bandana Campaign, to reduce stigma around mental illness and prevent deaths from despair.
We hope that this series will give each participant information they need to help everyone in our community who needs emotional support and resources to be mentally healthy. It’s now my pleasure to introduce Safe Communities Board President Corinda Rainey-Moore, who will provide an overview of the webinar series.
This webinar series will take place during lunch time on Friday, June 5th & Monday, June 8th-Friday, June 12th!
Carola Gaines, Co-Chair of African American Opioid Coalition
Dr. Zowee Jamison Shanks, Life Coach, Author, Inspirational Speaker and Entrepreneur
Ms. Charlie Daniels, Founder of African American Opioid Coaltion
Corinda Rainey, President of Safe Communities
Judge Everett Mitchell
Joe Parisi, Dane County Executive
Myra McNair, Founder of Anesis Therapy
Felix Giboney IV, Founder of Trained to Grow Inc.
Rita Adair, Executive Officer CEO at Adair Entertainment LLC
Davita Walker, Recovery Coach at Safe Communities
Tyrees Scott, Recovery Coach at Safe Communities
Minority Health Program, Division of Public Health, Wisconsin Department of Health Services
Dane County and Safe Communities Sustaining Members
- American Family Insurance
- City of Madison
- Dane County
- UW Health/UPH Meriter/Quartz
- SSM Health
- Rich and Amy Steffen
- AAA Wisconsin
- Group Health Cooperative of South Central Wisconsin
- Madison Gas and Electric