Safe Communities MedDrop Program
How to Use MedDrop
- To dispose of medications in the MedDrop drop boxes, please bring your unused or expired medication and a Ziploc or other resealable bag to the MedDrop police department.
- Empty contents of pill bottles into a Ziploc/storage bag at the police station and recycle your pill bottles, either by taking them home with you, or placing in the container provided at the police station. Block out personal information before recycling.
- Leave liquids, gels or creams in their original containers and place them in a Ziploc/storage bag
- Place sealed Ziploc/storage bags into the MedDrop box
- A list of items accepted for disposal at MedDrop drop boxes is listed below
What You Can Get Rid of at MedDrop
- Prescription Medicine (pills, liquids, creams, powders & patches)
- Over-the-Counter Medicine (pills, liquids, creams, powders & patches)
- Medications for Pets
- Medication Samples
- Nebulizer Solution
*Illegal drugs cannot be disposed of in the drop box. However, you may bring illegal drugs to the police station and turn them over to authorities, no questions asked.
Do Not Bring
- IV Bags
- Oxygen Tanks
- Nebulizer Machines
- Sharps, Epi-pens or anything with a needle or lancet
If MedDrop is Not Available
MedDrop is the best way to dispose of medicines, or pharmaceuticals. If MedDrop is not available, do not flush your unused pharmaceuticals. Instead, dispose of them in the trash. Especially when there is a risk of accidental poisoning, overdose or diversion, it is better to dispose of household pharmaceuticals rather than keep them. When placing unused pharmaceuticals in the trash, be sure to:
Remove or mark over all labels that identify the materials as pharmaceuticals or that could provide personal information about you, including prescription information that someone could try to refill;
Render them unattractive to children and thieves by dissolving them in a small amount of water or alcohol, or by grinding them up and mixing them with coffee grounds or kitty litter; and
Put them in a second container or small plastic bag and hide them in your trash.